Stressed about rent.

Need Help With Rent?

Financial problems strike everybody from time to time. If you are dealing with an emergency and are facing the real possibility of becoming homeless, we may be able to help. Keep reading and learn about some of the charities that people most commonly turn to when times get rough. One may be able to assist you. Beyond that, a state government agency may be able to render you aid, so you we have listed some contacts in each state that you should get in touch with.

Places That Help With Rent

There is nothing worse than not having security in where you live. If you are finding that you are short on money for rent, the stress can be extreme, but there are places that you can turn.

Below are a few of the charities that people most commonly turn to in times of need. One of them may be able to solve your problem.

Further down the page, there are state organizations that might also be able to render assistance with housing.

1. A Local Church

If you need help with rent, a church may be able to help you. Thousands of churches around the country offer programs to help low income families in need with rent money. Your best bet is to reach out to your own church.

If you do not belong to a church that can assist you with rent, you still have options. The aid that churches give is not restricted to their own congregation.

2. The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army offers support for people hurt by emergency situations but they also offer rent assistance for low income families. They are a christian based organization that is active extensively in most communities.

3. Catholic Charities

Catholic Charities are huge in charitable contributions, ranking only behind The United Way and The Salvation Army in charitable contributions.

Contact a local Catholic Church and ask if they have a Society of St Vincent de Paul representative. This organization of the church provides assistance to individuals on a person to person basis. This can be financial aid or it could be counseling or intervention on a persons behalf. The society helps more than 5 million people every year.

Help From Your Individual State

Places that help with rent by state.

Most states have places that help with rent. Usually some sort of department that is there to give you assistance with rent or mortgage payments. They might be able to help single parents, members of the working poor or other needy individuals. You might be able to receive rent assistance, down payment assistance, utility help and more.


Alabama has a number of non profit organizations to help residents with rent and eviction prevention. Visit the HUD.Gov website for information on reduced rent or subsidized housing.


The Alaska Housing Corporation at 800-478-AHFC may be able to help you secure affordable housing with private rentals. Also check out the US governments HUD website for information on housing vouchers.


Assistance with rent is available with the Arizona short term crisis program. Access to this program is limited to once every 12 months, you must have a child under the age of 18 and there are income limits. Learn more here.


You may be able to qualify for a grant that can pay for the deposit on a home or used to stop eviction. Call (870) 536-0046 for details.


The California Department of Social Services may have a program that can help you with your rent or eviction problems. Call 916-651-8848 to learn about possible aid and/or grants.


Colorado has housing and homeless prevention programs that can assist you. Call 303-866-4921 to find out if you qualify for one of these programs.


Connecticut has a program called RAP or Rental Assistance Program designed to hep low income people with rent and housing needs. Learn more by calling 800-842-1508


If you find yourself in need in Delaware, you are in luck, so to speak. Call 800-464-4357 to learn about the TANF program. Temporary Assistance For Needy Families can get you money to pay for food, rent and/or utilities.


The office of Homelessness can help you with rent and other needs. Contact them at  850-922-4691 to help with prevention of eviction or possibly help with utility payments.


The Georgia Coalition To End Homelessness may be able to offer you a rent assistance voucher to help you pay back rent. If you are a single mom or otherwise needy individual, give them a call at 877-243-1576.


The Hawaii Financial Assistance Program is an extensive effort to provide help on many fronts. It can provide you with help catching up on rent, paying utilities and finding quality employment. Call them at 808-643-1643 for help.


TAFI is a program that can be of help to you in Idaho. Temporary Assistance for Families in Idaho at 877-456-1233 may be able to find you money for rent, food, utilities, etc. Contact them to see if you qualify for help with rent.


The Rental Housing Support assistance program is a large program in Illinois that helps thousands with rent with the help of grants and subsidies. 312 386-1009 is the number to call to find out if you qualify for aid.


It is a law in Indiana that every town must provide Poor Relief to those in need. Contact your local town or city to see what kind of help they can provide you.


A program called Operation Roundup is a place that helps with rent in Iowa. They may be able to help you. It is run by local utility providers and funds from the program can be used to pay for utilities, rent and other needs.


The Southeast Kansas Community Action Program may be able to help you with housing costs, contact them at 620) 724-8204 for information.


The Kentucky Housing Corporation may be able to assist you if you are a low income family, senior, single parent or a member of the working poor. Contact them at 800) 633-8896 for programs that might assist you.


A grant may be available to you in Louisiana. Call 337-788-7550 to see if you qualify for a program and what kind of rent help that program provides.


Rental vouchers can be applied for by calling 207-626-4600. You can also try the TANF program, designed for needy families at 207-287-6426.


If you need a shelter right away in Maryland, call 410-767-7328 for directions to a nearby one. You may be able to obtain help in preventing an eviction by calling 240-420-2100


The state has a rental voucher program that can be contacted at 617-573-1150. The vouchers can be used to pay for rent at acceptable homes.


The FIP program may help you temporarily pay for rent and help you become self sufficient. For information apply at your local Dept of Human Services. In addition, single moms might try the Center for Women in Transition at 616-392-2829.


If you have gone through a foreclosure, you may be able to get a grant to help you start your life again. Call 651-659-9336 for a grant of up to $2500 to help you secure housing from the Minnesota Home Ownership Center.


Need places that help with rent in Mississippi? If you need help to keep you from being evicted, call 601-960.0557 for a list of state organizations and charities that may be able to help you.


Seniors can get help with housing needs by calling 800-235-5503 and speaking with the DHSS. Others can get help at a number of charities such as the Salvation Army 573-442-3229.


Call 406-841-2830 for information on Section 8 housing vouchers in the state. In addition, Billings Family Service at 406-259-2269 may be able to help.


Low income families with dependent children under the age of 18 may qualify for the ADC program. Aid to Dependent Children can be contacted through the Health and Human Services Dept at 402-471-3121.


Catholic Charities of Northern Nevada may be able to help you at 775-322-707. In addition, housing vouchers can be obtained through the department of HUD. If you live in Clark County, contact 702-455-4270 for help in preventing evictions.

New Hampshire

You can get help finding transitional housing at 800-640-6486. In addition, you might find help with the New Hampshire Emergency Housing program. This program can pay your rent for up to three months and can be contacted at 800-439-7247.

New Jersey

The New Hersey State Rental Assistance Program helps needy individuals and families with their rent. Call 609-292-4080 and see if you qualify for this program.

New Mexico

The state of New Mexico has a RAP or Rental Assistance Program that can be reached by calling 505-843-6880. The program money can be used for down payment assistance, rent or utility payments if you qualify.

New York

Find temporary help with bills by calling 800-342-3009 and learn about section 8 housing vouchers by contacting the following number  212-480-6463.

North Carolina

The NC Temporary Assistance For Needy Family program can be contacted at 919-334-1224 and may be able to provide rent help.  In addition there are numerous transitional housing programs such ar Catherine’s House for single parents, 704-825-9599.

North Dakota

The North Dakota Housing Agency may be able to help and you can reach them at 701-328-8080. In addition, you can also try the Dept of Human Services at 701-328-2310.


Organizations such at the faith based Salvation Army, 216-861-8185, may be able to help you prevent eviction and stay in your home. In addition HUD and the state of Ohio offer Section 8 vouchers to help ay rental costs.


There are many programs to help in Oklahoma including Operation Roundup, a charity established by utility companies to help those in need. In addition, the Oklahoma Dept of Social Services can help in may cases. Reach them at 405-521-3646.


In addition to the Salvation army and HUD housing vouchers, there are also many eviction prevention organizations in Oregon, such as ACCESS at 541-779-6691 and CAT at 503-397-3511.


The Homeless Assistance Program might be able to get you the money that you need to meet your rent obligations. You can reach them at 800-692-7462. In addition ,their are a number of organizations that can help you including the CCA at 814-643-4202.

Rhode Island

The Road Home program can provide grants to those experiencing short term housing problems. Their number is 401-222-2312. Organizations like New Hope For Families, 401-728-8490, works with government grants to help those in need.

South Carolina

Several programs are available through the Dept of Human Services, 803-898-7601. These include the General Emergency Assistance Program, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program and the Emergency Shelter Grant Program.

South Dakota

The South Dakota Housing Development Authority may be able to help you get into affordable long term housing. Reach them at 605-773-3181


You have he normal options such as the Salvation Army and your local Department of Human Services. Emergency services and aid can be applied for by calling 615-313-4700. There are many programs available that may help with rent, utilities and food.


Texas Health & Human Services has a database of programs that can help you with rent, deposits and even application fees for housing. Call 877-541-7905 for information. In addition, food stamps can help you save money that you can put towards rent expenses, 877-541-7905.


Temporary Assistance for Needy Families may be able to help you at 866-435-7414. You can also try more local organizations like the Carbon County Housing Authority at 435-637-5170 or the Provo City Housing Authority at 801-852-7080.


Your first call should be to the Vermont Housing Authority at 802-828-3295. They may be able to help you with a list of available programs. You can also look into a Section 8 housing voucher from the HUD.


Search for eviction prevention services such as the Commonwealth of Catholic Charities at 804-545-7200 or Hope INC at 877-818-8680. Also inquire with the VHSP at 800) 552-3431 for affordable housing options. Finally, the Virginia DHCD may be able to help. Reach out to them at 800-230-6977.


Washington ahas a number of different programs that you can make use of. This includes a State Family Assistance program, TANF and a child care assistance program. Call 800-562-3022 and learn more.

Washington DC

You have a few government and charity options in Dc, one is the Capital Hill Group which can be reached at 202-544-3150 In addition, you can find housing counseling at 202-667-7006.  There is also Center City Association at 202-789-0868 and Change INC at 202-387-3725.

West Virginia

The EAP or Emergency Assistance Program may be able to help you at 304-558-0684. There are also numerous homeless assistance agencies like Community Networks INC at 304-260-9334 and Pride Community Services at 304-855-3945.


Call 855-757-4539 to find a local Wisconsin Works agency for possible help with housing. In addition, Workforce Resource may be able to assist you or provide you guidance, 715-723-2248.


Housing First is a program of the Wyoming Dept of Health and can be reached at  307-777-7656. They are in charge of helping the homeless and may be able to help.

Posted by

James Car is a finance, loan and budget expert based in the United States. After attending Brookhaven college, he went on to become a successful entrepreneur. He now enjoys writing articles that help people save and make the most of their money.